Monday 13 July 2009

The Day After


We went to 10am Mass this morning in St. Patrick's. There is still a great sense of shock....of loss...of sadness.


We know that Fr McGinty has been called home by his Loving God. We know that he has earned his rest. We know that no one dies by accident....that we die when it is our time. When hopefully we have completed that part of God's plan given to us. A part that we might never know or understand.


The sadness is ours. Father was not there this morning telling us at the beginning of Mass who the Saint of the Day was. He was not standing there at the door after Mass sharing a word with each of us as we left the Church.

I am sure Father is already in Heaven. But he was first of all a man, with the weaknesses and failings of all men. So he might be in need of our prayers. So we will continue to pray to God for the repose of his soul.


There is a lesson for us in this event....a reminder...that we do not know the day or hour of our own death. We should live each day as if it were our last.

I am reminded of the short little prayer about death known to many catholics, asking the Holy family for their help at the moment of our death.


Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, assist me in my last agony.

Jesus, Mary and Jospeph, may I breathe forth my soul in Peace with you.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment