Thursday 3 June 2010

Toronto Rose.....and Pickles





I like pickles. I always have. When I was growing up, my favourite pickle was called "PanYan Pickle."
It had a wonderful taste, not too sweet. not too vinegary. Sadly, it seems to have disappeared. I have tried others, like Branstons.....but it is not the same as Pan Yan.
When I was older, my wife to be's family intoduced me to Picallili. That had mustard in it, and had a bit of bite. But I really liked that too.
When I am out and looking for a snack, a cheese and chutney sandwich gets me going.
In the larder here I have a collection of all sorts of chutneys...apple, onion, spiced fruit, mango. All delicious.

So....Toronto Rose. She is my wife's cousin and she lives in Toronto. We have visited her a few times now. She always makes us very welcome. And when she has been visiting her sister here in Glasgow, she has offered us the use of her condo in Etobicoke.
So we spent most of April over there. We arrived the 30th March, and Rose flew out on the 31st March.
She had left all kinds of nice stuff for us, even some beer and wine. "Help yourself!" she said. We did.
But...and here the story takes a sad twist.
On her return I picked her up at Pearson Airport. I'm that kind of a guy.
I told her we had used some of the stuff in the fridge, especially the cranberry jelly and a jar of pickles.
Then it came out. There were "other pickles." The mother of one of her friends...Janice...lovely person...had made home made pickles and had given some to Rose. And guess what....yes...Rose had hidden them!!!!!!
And she refused point blank to even let is see them , let alone taste them!!!
WE visited Janice on the morning we were returning home to Scotland. Janice was shocked! But Rose remained firm, and we left Toronto that evening pickleless....not even a smell or a glimpse of
These events have left a scar on my wife and I. I am sure you understand. But....we have forgiven cousin Rose...we are that kind of folk.
But rest assured, on our next visit to Toronto, as soon as Rose is out the door, the Pickle Search is on!


Photos are from Lakeshore near lakeshore boulevard

No comments:

Post a Comment