Wednesday 30 June 2010

Stained Glass Windows







One of the beauties of old Priory Churches and Cathedrals is Stained glass windows.

In my recent sojourn around Wales, England and Scotland, it was very satisfying to spend time looking at such windows.

Some of the glass is of more recent times. I did see some that were very modern, that gave interesting light patterns when the sun shone throught them. Some were of more traditional themes, which I generally prefer.

But some of the windows were really old.

For example, in Great Malvern, some of the glass is medieval. In Cartmel Priory, I was informed that some of the glass had been brought back from the Crusades.
The older glass I saw had lost some of its definition, and details had faded. But that did not detract from its splendour.

And of course, at a time when reading was a skill held by the few, such windows and paintings were one way of telling great biblical stories to the many.

These photos were some from my recent expedition. They are from Cartmel Priory and are of a very old age indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment